Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Memorial Day Weekend

We got everything organized just in time, because our first weekend was a holiday! There were a lot of people out in the park for Memorial Day weekend. Saturday and Sunday were really busy, and Marc and I took turns staffing the visitor center while the other roved outside, talking to visitors at the overlooks and on the paths. Monday it was just me working at Miner’s Castle, so I had to close the visitor center to take my lunch break.

There was still a lot of ice out on Lake Superior, and it kept moving around! Even though it had been pretty clear when the four of us were out there earlier in the week, now there were a lot of big floes that had blown in. It still wasn't as thick as that first day Dad and I were there.

A lot of things have been changing, as spring arrives in the Upper Peninsula. A week ago, there were no leaves on any of the trees. Four days ago, there were bright yellow-green leaves on the birches.

Image

Sunday, Marc and I looked out the visitor center window and realized that all the trees outside had started growing their leaves overnight. All of a sudden there was more green in our field of vision. The book The Secret Garden describes it as a green mist, creeping in over the gray of the garden as it comes to life… (I love that book. I need to reread it.)

The flowers are changing, too. Last week the forest at Miner’s Castle was filled with Dutchman’s Breeches, but those are almost gone. Now there are yellow violets and huge expanses of white trilliums, and the ditches near Sand Point (where my house is) are filled with big yellow marsh marigolds.

I don’t have pictures yet, but I am planning to get photos of all the flowers, and of the lake each morning before work.

Sunday after I got home I walked out to Sand Point and went wading. The water is ice cold – after all, there is ice still floating in it! – but it felt really good on my feet after standing and walking around all day! Then the warm, dry sand felt good to walk on afterward – it’s nice soft sand here! I’ll definitely go further in when the water warms up slightly!

Image
 Maple flower near Sand Point Beach.

Image
View from Sand Point, with ice on the horizon!

Image
SO. COLD. Felt good, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment