Tuesday, June 6, 2017

A Family Bike Ride

(Insert standard disclaimer about having gotten really behind and never sorted through the photos from last fall...)

Yesterday my family went on a bike ride together. We used to do this all the time - we always brought our bikes on summer trips, and would ride around the neighborhood, but it's been years since my sister and I did much riding, and we have no idea how long it's been since the four of us did one together! I'm still at home right now, and since school is out my sister the teacher was free, so we made plans to get up bright and early to beat the heat.

We didn't leave at 6:30, but we did leave just after 7:00, which isn't bad for us! Dad was still able to get the bike rack and all four bikes up on top of the Jeep, and we had our helmets and water bottles in the trunk. We didn't take time for breakfast, just some granola bars and bananas, and we headed off.

Our destination was Horseshoe Lake State Park in Illinois, which was only 23 miles away. It's a natural lake, formed when an old oxbow curve of the river got cut off. As we drove across the Mississippi, we could see some flooded fields, and lots of egrets taking advantage of the temporary wetlands! There were white birds everywhere. Presumably a lot of minnows and other critters got stranded when the floods receded, so there was plenty to eat.

As we drove into the park and along the lake, we saw several great blue herons, and a colony of Canada geese, including some fuzzy ones! Actually, the goslings were all getting pretty big - still cute, but getting their adult necks.

We parked, and I took a few pictures while Dad and Mom were unloading the bikes. (I would have been in the way!)



Above, and below: looking in both directions along the shore.


Just behind those cattails on the right, I spotted someone...


Yet another great blue heron!

We really lucked out on the weather. It was still quite cool, and there was a strong breeze off the lake. It wasn't cloudy, but there were some hazy clouds blocking the full power of the sun. I had put on sunscreen, and I had a long sleeved shirt to cover my arms, but since it was still cool and early enough that the sun wasn't as strong, I left it off to enjoy the breeze.

We started by riding along the park road, back the way we had come along the lake. We did not slow down when we came to the geese! Luckily most of them were a little way up the hill. We did spot one family of little fuzzies that was smaller than the other groups! We kept on going, spotting several great blue herons, including one that had been standing out on the end of that same gravel pier when we drove in. We went on, across the dike, until the road ended - just after we spotted a family of ducks in the water! The babies weren't much smaller than their mother any more, but they were still fuzzy, and still sticking close! As we stopped to get a drink before heading back, we spotted a duck and two ducklings hurrying across the road we had just ridden on. It was apparently a different family, though, because the first one was still out in the same part of the lake as we rode past again!

We followed the lake back to the car (that heron was still hunkered out on that pier!) and continued in the other direction. It was smooth and flat all the way, even before we got to the end and moved onto the actual bike trail! We were going at a pretty good pace, considering we are all really out of practice when it comes to riding! By the way, the old saying isn't quite true. You do not forget how to ride a bicycle; however, you do forget how to sit on one. Or rather, your seat forgets. I kept having to make us stop so I could walk for a minute, to take the pressure off! Since it was a flat trail, there were no hills or other landmarks to stop for.

It was beautiful, all along the way. There were a lot of wildflowers, especially deep purple spiderworts, and some that were pale - even white! The trail veered away from the lake, with woods and wetlands on either side, although sometimes we were near a road - but didn't see any cars. We were hearing a lot of birds, especially red-winged blackbirds, which love wetlands. I also was the first to spot an indigo bunting! I wasn't sure what I was seeing - with my sunglasses on, and not seeing it until I was passing it, I couldn't tell if that little bird on the wire was actually blue or not. But a few minutes later I saw two more on the same power line, and was able to call out to the others to see them too. Dad said he had been hearing one, but hadn't spotted it yet. (He is really good at picking out different bird songs! I hardly ever know what I'm hearing.)

That is the fun thing about bike riding together - you can still have a conversation as you're going, point out things you're seeing. You can get a lot further in a short amount of time, seeing more sights. And best of all, because you are moving quickly and quietly, you get a chance to see wildlife that you wouldn't see from a car! We had a few more exciting glimpses before the ride was over.

The trail only goes out so far, and we turned around just a little before it would have ended. The trick with riding on a straight route rather than a looping one is that you have to turn around before you're ready to be done! We headed back the same way, of course, and even though I was still not too tired I kept calling for quick stops. Partly to stand up for a moment, but also just for water. A flat trail means there are no hills to stop at the top of and rest - I just wanted to pace myself and stay hydrated. It was kind of funny, actually, I kept taking the lead and then being the one to call for breaks! Also, if I had been more tired and needing to stop more, I would have taken more pictures!

Just as we were finishing one stop, Joanne and I both spotted a critter up ahead ducking off the trail into the bushes! It was unmistakable in size and shape: a woodchuck, or groundhog, startled by our presence! As we rode past we saw it disappearing again, even deeper.

We got back to the lake road, and a restroom. Then we were on our last leg of the ride, and I took off. I could tell I was getting tired, though, because earlier my easy pace had been in 5th gear; now it was in 4th! I was ahead of the others but stopped when I spotted something out on the lake: turtles! We had been seeing them here and there, mainly heads popping up out of the water and then ducking back down; and I had seen one big one slither off the bank into the water. But I could see a big log way out on the water, and I could see some very distinctive bumps dotting its length!




(I love the zoom on this camera!)

I pointed out the turtles, and then they pointed out to me that we had a view of downtown St. Louis off in the distance! We could even see the sun glinting off the Arch!


Here's another view, not zoomed in. Hi, Joanne!


When we were almost back to the car, Joanne and I stopped to look at a pair of ducks in a small pond on the side of the road opposite the lake. I managed to get several pictures, because they were quite distracted by their grooming regimen!





We rode past the car just a little ways, and then returned. This ended up making my mileage just 11.03 miles, in just over an hour and a half of riding, with only quick stops. Not bad when I haven't ridden more than a couple of miles in a couple of years! Joanne and I both did some stretches while Dad fiddled with the bike rack, and I used what was left in my water bottle to soak my head and squirt my legs. I also chugged a bunch more. Then we headed off to go to McDonalds for an hour. That great blue heron had not moved from his spot.

Our drive home took a while because we hit some road work, but all in all it was a great morning, a nice smooth ride surrounded by beautiful scenery. I'll have to work up to it, but I definitely want to do this more. Although I am sore today. Very sore. And not in my leg muscles.

Here's one last view, from one of our stops when we were first riding along the lake.


No comments:

Post a Comment